A Segment-ology TIDBIT
There are 3 basic steps:
- Go to www.GEDmatch.com and create an account. Your account is based on your email (so carefully choose the email you’ll want to use), and a password (known only to you – if you forget it, you’ll need to reset the password). You’ll get your own homepage at GEDmatch, which will list any DNA kits you upload and/or any GEDcom.
- Go to your DNA company and download your raw DNA data file – note the name of the file and where it is saved (usually your Download folder); leave the file zipped (do not unzip it) [NB: I recommend you save a copy of your raw DNA data file, even if you don’t plan to upload it anywhere else – this is your data – preserve it.]
- AncestryDNA – At “Your DNA Results Summary” page, click on top-right: “Settings” (gear icon); click on “Download Raw DNA Data” TAB and follow their directions, which will involve an email and entering your password again.
- FamilyTreeDNA – on your main “Dashboard” page, under the Family Finder section is a link: “Download Raw Data” [sometimes behind the “See More” TAB] – click on that; and then click on the download arrow for “Build 37 Raw Data Concatenated”. [the concatenated file includes the X data]
- 23andMe – UPDATED (1/20/17) at GEDmatch just click on “23andMe fast and easy” – the process takes about a minute!
- for other companies (and/or for the above companies), just log into your GEDmatch Account and click on their link to ‘Upload Your DNA” and follow their instructions]
- Log into GEDmatch and upload your raw DNA data file – follow their 4 Steps. : Click on the “Choose File” button to navigate in your PC folders to where your raw DNA data file is, and click on it. Then Click on “Upload”. Wait several minutes for the process to complete and give you a statement that it is finished.
Note: you can, and should, also upload a GEDcom file (your family Tree) – on your main GEDmatch homepage, see the link for “Genealogy – Family Trees”.
I hope to see you on GEDmatch!
[22G] Segment-ology: Uploading to GEDmatch TIDBIT by Jim Bartlett 20170119 Updated 20220612