A Segmentology TIDBIT
UPDATE: AncestryDNA has issued a cease and desist order, and this process is no longer available to download your Matches. Sorry about that.
That is download: all your Matches, a hyperlink [to their Page as a Match to you], Shared cM, Shared Segments, Tree Type, Tree Size, Common Ancestors [per ThruLines], a tic for each Dot and Star, and your Notes! This fast download does NOT include your Shared Matches, which may take days to download.
Here’s the process:
- Before running this program, I set up a separate folder with todays date [e.g. 20200409] for each download; the Shared Clustering program will give you a chance to select this folder and to rename the download file.
- Download the Shared Clustering program. See my review of this program here. The link to upload this program is: https://github.com/jonathanbrecher/sharedclustering/wiki
- Click on Download TAB
- Enter your Ancestry user name and password [stored on your PC only]
- Click on Sign In
- Select your Test (if you have access to more than one)
- Click the button for Fast but incomplete
- Open Advanced options
- Lowest centimorgans to retrieve: 6 [this includes all of your Matches]
- Lowest centimorgans of shared matches: 4000 [this means don’t download any Shared Matches]
- Click on: Get DNA Matches
Here’s a picture of the message when the download is complete:
So 125,000+ Matches in 6 minutes – your results may vary.
After the download, Export the downloaded txt file to Excel. Click on the Export TAB, and follow the prompts to create an Excel file – takes about 4 min.
You can then use/manipulate the Excel file. You can sort on any field, and you can edit any Notes and then Upload those revisions back to AncestryDNA. I use this as an opportunity to do a Quality check of my Notes, and to insure I have a Note for each Match with a ThruLines Common Ancestor. I find it’s much easier to edit Notes in the spreadsheet, than to jump around to each Match at AncestryDNA. NB: Don’t edit Notes in AncestryDNA when you are also editing Notes in the spreadsheet. If you do any edits in AncestryDNA, you need to do a new Download (it only takes 10 minutes!)
[22AS] Segment-ology: Download Your AncestryDNA Matches in 10 Minutes!
TIDBIT by Jim Bartlett 20200409 EDITED 20200808